Saturday, January 28, 2012

book 7

What Came First by Carol Snow
356 pages

I was really disappointed with this book.  I didn't like ANY of the characters.  I was bored.  Usually when I read any books in the chick lit genre I plow through them in a matter of 1-3 days, but this took me a week because I was undermotivated to pick it up.

What Came First is the story of three women, their lives connected by one man.  Laura is a single mother who has an 8 year old son from a sperm donor.  Wendy has twins also from a sperm donor, though she is married.  Vanessa has a boyfriend, Eric, who might want to marry her but probably not.  The story follows these women, each chapter told through one of their perspectives.

Nothing in this story made me particularly joyful or sad.  I was not moved even a little.  Sometimes I could empathize with Vanessa, especially toward the end, but the other women were very annoying.  Wendy was a model of the type of mother I never want to me.  Laura seems very selfish.  Ugh.

I do not recommend this book.  I'm giving it two stars only because it held my attention enough to finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment