Friday, August 31, 2012

book 32

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
345 pages


I have zero complaints about this book, not even one little nagging complaint. None.

Dark Places was an amazing read.  I could not put it down, and I was mad at bedtime when I literally HAD TO.  This morning I awoke thinking I would finish it and, though it took me the greater part of the day, I did.

As I was reading, I was always trying to scan ahead to the next paragraph, desperate to know what was happening.  This obviously made it take longer than necessary to read.  Although I have a habit of trying to read the end of books first (I'm SO impatient!), and I did here, I was STILL surprised and had to go back and re-read sections to see how I missed that - only to find there was no way to have known.  The plot was intricate but not in a way that was forced.  No suspension of disbelief needed for even one second.  The characters were extremely real, the prose was fantastic, and it is no surprise that this was a bestseller.

As a connoisseur of chick-lit I occasionally tried to shove love into the plot but it wasn't a chick-lit book.  That was refreshing to me.  Don't get me wrong, I love chick-lit more than any other genre in the world, but I guess maybe I need to broaden my horizons a bit.  In fact, I went onto Amazon this morning and ordered Flynn's debut as well.. Her most recent work is not available in paperback, so I'll wait a little to see if it is released in that format before I cave an order it in hardcover.

I highly recommend Dark Places.  It's a twisted mystery/suspense novel that would appeal to any gender, race or class.  READ IT NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment