Tuesday, February 14, 2012

book 11

Stupid and Contagious by Caprice Crane
317 pages

Another lovely book by Caprice Crane!  I believe this is her debut novel (though I could be mistaken) and I loved the way it was written from two perspectives, and that one is a woman while the other is a man.  Stupid and Contagious really captures the nuances between two people, the way people can see a situation with difference and sameness, and the way two people interact.

Crane created likable characters and made it easy to dislike the ones you weren't supposed to like... which I have written before in a review but don't ask me what book I wrote it about (ha i really can't remember).

What I really like about Caprice Crane is her obvious interest in music.  I love that I know and love the indie rock bands, as well as the more mainstream ones, that she uses in her stories.  I love the conversational, almost screenplay-esque tone of the stories (which other people have held against her in reviews).  I enjoyed everything about this book...

... Except one thing: and that is the use of the "n" word, even coming from a fictional friend of P. Diddy and Russell Simmons.  I cringed when I read it, I really can't stand that. It bothered me just enough to demote my star rating by one.  Sorry Caprice Crane, that's just how I roll.

Otherwise, I still highly recommend this and the other Crane novels!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment