Saturday, February 25, 2012

book 13

Family Affair by Caprice Crane
347 pages

Family Affair is the story of Layla and Brett and their imploding marriage.  They have been together since high school, and Brett's family basically took Layla in after he mother died in the 10th grade.  So when Brett unexpectedly wants a divorce, Layla is thrown for a loop.  She won't only be losing him, but she might also lose the only family she has known for over a decade.

The story is told chapter by chapter through Layla, Brett, Trish, and Scott's perspectives, with a letter from Ginny to her sister thrown in every so often.  I liked this method of story-telling, but I have to admit that I was sometimes confused as to who I was reading.  I don't know why, but I occasionally had to stop and think about it, or look back at the chapter heading.  That was a little annoying, but very overlook-able.

As usual with Caprice Crane, I greatly enjoyed this book.  I plowed through it while on vacation and couldn't finish it fast enough.  I wanted to see what would happen, what would be the outcomes of the various conflicts, etc.  I love Crane's dialogues, they are fantastic and highly believable.  Very witty, but not over-the-top-this-would-never-happen-in-real-life witty, which is fabulous.  I could identify with the characters, feel their struggles, and sympathize with their pains and their happinesses.  I didn't want them to end!

This book had way fewer music references, which was sad for me, but I suppose you can't build a career on music references and have to do something different on occasion.  I'm a little sad that I have only one Crane novel remaining, I don't know if I should save it or read it!  It's making me crazy a little!!! I really want to read it but then they are gone forever.. or at least until a new novel is published!

Anyway, I loved this book, and I continue to highly recommend Caprice Crane to anyone who likes books, music, fun, love, or pretty much anything else under the sun!  Go get her books today!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment