Tuesday, February 21, 2012

book 12

Georgia's Kitchen by Jenny Nelson
319 pages

I'm not really sure how I feel about this book.  It was really slow.  There was WAY too much description for my taste.  I'm really not into gourmet food at all.  I am one year younger than Georgia, but I felt like her character was sooo much older than I am, she didn't really fit into my experience as an early 30s New Yorker, which I am!  None of the characters in the book felt real to me.  I could not imagine any of them existing in real life.

There WERE redeeming qualities, which merited Georgia's Kitchen three stars.  First of all, I finished it.  It began to hold my interest more in the second half.  Secondly, I liked that the book wasn't about relationships (although I suppose subtly it was).  Don't get me wrong - those are my favorite kinds of books!  Just in this sense it worked.  It was more a tale of perseverance, and working through adversity to find out what it really good and right for you.  So I guess the theme was along the lines of "When one door closes, another opens."  In the end, I was happy for Georgia.  I felt like she did everything she needed to do, and all-in-all everything was resolved.  I liked that most aspects of her life improved, it wasn't like she ended up with some dude and everything was fine.. You are left to write your own future for Georgia (although in the author's interview, she does say she might revisit Georgia in the future!)

Overall I found Georgia's Kitchen to be slow but fulfilling.  I think three stars is just right for this tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment